Day 6 - May 8, 2011


Cleveland Heights (Includes Haddon Hill and Peralta Heights) 

Day Miles: 15.5(J) / 15.6(S)
Cumulative Miles: 112.9(J) / 115.9(S)
Day Hours: 1:38(J) / 1:39(S)
Cumulative Hours: 11:28(J) / 11:33(S) 

A pretty light riding day, though a bit hilly. I really enjoyed riding the Cleveland Heights neighborhood.  People often speak of Oakland's housing stock as being a "block by block" affair, terms of safety and quality.  No less true here.  Sandwiched between I-580 and run down businesses on Park Boulevard and East 18th, there were some lovely homes and beautiful landscaping.  

It saddens me so that the Parkway theater hasn't been open in years.  The building is still lovely, and just begs for an occupant:


One other neighborhood curiosity is the F.M. Smith Park, named after Francis Marion "Borax" Smith: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Marion_Smith.


A borax miner in Death Valley, and creator of the Key System interurban in the Bay Area, this park makes a show of his famous "20-mule teams" for hauling his mined minerals from their excavation sites.  I'm sure the significance of this figure and the testament to his contributions to California and the Bay Area are lost on the average basketball player in the park.

I like this greenhouse in the neighborhood.  I'm sure it's well used:

Cheers,
1970

1 comment:

  1. i remember going to the parkway with you guys back in the day!

    ReplyDelete