Day 11 - July 17, 2011

Northgate, Pill Hill, Mosswood
  
Day Miles: 19.6(J) / 19.9(S)
Cumulative Miles: 236.0(J) / 239.8(S)
Day Hours: 1:48(J) / 1:51(S)
Cumulative Hours: 22:45(J) / 22:59(S)


I was born in this neighborhood, on Pill Hill.  Back then, in 1970, it was Providence Hospital, though it is now part of the Alta Bates Summit community of hospitals.  We rode a fair amount today, and went as far west as Martin Luther King Boulevard.  Around 28th and MLK is the "urban farm" that local food author Novella Carpenter has written her book "Farm City" about.  She talks about raising animals, foraging for their food in the dumpsters of gourmet North Berkeley restaurants.  Hers is not the nicest neighborhood, though certainly not the worst by Oakland standards.  We did find this welcoming sign just a few blocks away:


During today's ride, I was most surprised by the size of the homeless encampment under I-980.  Mosswood Park is a fun and large park where we saw the vintage baseball league practicing.  Two new and interesting places of note in the neighborhood are Commonwealth Pub and Homeroom Restaurant.  I'm anxious to make it to both places - I hear Homeroom's mac 'n cheese is pretty tasty.  Finally, I love the new Manifesto Bike Shop with Sunday Bike Church:


Cheers,
1970

No comments:

Post a Comment