Day 12 - July 21, 2011

East Peralta, Clinton, Ivy Hill, Bella Vista, Lynn (Highland Park)
 
Day Miles: 29.9(J) / 30.1(S)
Cumulative Miles: 265.8(J) / 269.9(S)
Day Hours: 2:50(J) / 2:51(S)
Cumulative Hours: 25:35(J) / 25:50(S)

  
Today's riding area seemed to typify Oakland in many ways: mixed in terms of race and income; partly residential and partly industrial in feel; and, some beautiful but many rundown homes.  I've heard people refer to this area as "East Oakland," but I'm more inclined to call it Eastlake or "Central Oakland."  It's home to Alameda County's trauma center, Highland Hospital, so it gets more than a fair share of gunshot victims.  The hospital is expanding too, in an odd patchwork arrangement:


 The area has a commercial area of little note, though one can find a gem here and there.  People say good things about the relatively new Thai and Laotian restaurant, Champa Garden.  I saw a lot of people out and about - one of the reasons I like to ride through neighborhoods on summer evenings.  If we continue riding in winter and/or during the morning, I imagine I'll miss out on the local color of neighborhoods.  People always talk about the crime in Oakland, but I was so struck at all the seemingly "vulnerable" people out living their lives: young kids, older Asian women, disabled people.  Somehow they're mostly avoiding being victims of crime.

Both Joel and I liked this wrought iron gate at Bella Vista School/Park:


 Also this beautiful palm-lined street:


Cheers, 
1970

No comments:

Post a Comment